The Faculty of Economics (FEC) is one of the most popular and populous faculties at Corvinus University of Budapest. It hosts more than 1500 enrolled students each academic year and works with about 140 members of academic staff. The Faculty is the leader in providing education and research in economics in Hungary and has an outstanding reputation abroad for offering high quality undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs in the field.
Ranking - Hungarian System of Higher Education (2009):
- FEC was ranked 1st place in the category of “Prestige of Economic Institutes” (survey filled out by employers);
- FEC was ranked 3rd place in the category of “Optimal Student-to-Instructor Ratio” (19 students/1 qualified instructor);
- FEC was ranked 4th place in the general ranking of economy and business programs;
- The competence of Corvinus graduates at their first workplace was evaluated 9,2 out of the maximum 10 points by the employers.
Ranking – International (2009):
FEC was ranked the 6th place in the field of economics in the ranking of International Business Degree Programs as prepared by the Financial Times:
1. London School of Economics
2. Mannheim Business School
3. Stockholm School of Economics
4. University of Cologne, Faculty of Management
5. Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration
6. Corvinus University of Budapest, Faculty of Economics
7. National Chengchi University
8. Business School of the Montreal University
9. Kozminski University, Warsaw
10. Manchester Business School
The Center for Higher Education Development (CHE) studied nearly 4000 European institutions of higher education with a focus on numerous academic disciplines, thus, on economics as well. CHE considered several aspects when compiling its Excellence Ranking List, but specifically had its focus on a given institution’s strength in research and its efforts to get involved in the international academic life. Universities that were awarded at least two stars made the Excellence Group. In the ranking of 2009, The Faculty of Economics at Corvinus University of Budapest was awarded three stars.
A general objective of the Faculty is to provide education and research in the field of both Hungarian and international economic policies embedded in a local, a European, as well as a global context. Students are provided with a detailed understanding of economics so that, upon graduation, they are equipped with the necessary knowledge to take an active role in the forming of economic policy at a national, European, and global levels. Besides the strong focus on both the national and the international economies, a main asset of the Faculty is its firm commitment to a better perception on the transformation and integration processes of the Central-Eastern European region. The Faculty offers a wide range of relevant topics in the fields of the world economy, the European Community and the Central-Eastern European region, and provides its graduates with a training that makes them equipped to successfully lead a career, among others, in international or domestic institutions of economic management or governmental agencies.