Eligibility criteria include the following:
- University degree or an MA/MSc degree with honours (or equivalent) awarded in an accredited educational programme as well as 300 credits obtained in either a single cycle or a two-stage university (undergraduate and graduate) education. Please note that non-master level MBA degrees are not accepted!
- Applicants without previous studies in the relevant field (but who otherwise meet all the entrance requirements) can be admitted provided that they take a number of “bridging” subjects during the first semester of their studies and pass the relevant exams.
- For students graduating in the 2019/2020 academic year the deadline for presenting the certificates is 2 September 2020. Admission for the given year is only conditional until applicants are able to produce their certificate. Priority shall be given to applicants who have won a prize in the relevant subject at the National Conference of Scientific Students’ Associations (“OTDK”). A further advantage is proven researcher capacity (e.g. OTD, scientific publications).
- Proficiency in the English language is also a requirement. If the applicant does not have a language certificate in English, English knowledge should be proven at an interview organized by the PhD Programme.
Information with regard to self-financing and scholarship:
The doctoral education program is full time and can be completed with state scholarship or through self-financing. The contents of the program are identical in both cases. All the students take part in the same courses, the only difference being in the form of financing. Students who are granted a status with scholarship receive a state scholarship, the amount of which is HUF 140 680/month in semesters 1 to 4 and HUF 180 680/month in semesters 5 to 8. The relevant amounts are transferred to the student’s bank account by the University.
The following students are eligible for state scholarship:
- PhD students with Hungarian citizenship who apply for full time education in an organized form
- foreign PhD students who receive equivalent treatment with students of Hungarian citizenship on the basis of legislation or an international agreement.
The time period of the payment of the state doctoral scholarship is 4 years (48 months). The amount of the scholarship is set out in Act CCIV of 2011 on Higher Education. In accordance with the Act, whereas the majority of educational costs of students with a scholarship is covered by the state budget, the costs of self-financed education are borne by the student.
During the program, all PhD students may apply for funds to support their participation in conferences is Hungary and abroad.
For students to be admitted in 2020, tuition fees per semester for the 2020/21 academic year are as follows:
- HUF 320 000Hungarian-language program for Hungarian citizens and foreign (EU and EEA) enjoying equal treatment with Hungarians
- HUF 660 000 (regular tuition fee of HUF 320 000 + language contribution of HUF 340 000) English-language program for Hungarian citizens and foreign (EU and EEA) enjoying equal treatment with Hungarians
- EUR 3 200Third country nationals
Please send or submit applications forms and the required attachments to the University Doctoral Office:
- firstname.lastname@example.org (electronically)
An administrative fee is of HUF 9 000 is payable by bank transfer to the university’s bank account number: 11784009-22229896-00000000. Please include the following number as reference: SDRSZ0000K and the name of the applicant
IBAN no.: HU 92 11784009 22229896 00000000
SWIFT code: OTPVHUHB
- Application form
- Professional CV
- Proof of payment of administrative fee
- Copy of the document(s) certifying the required level of education
- Copy of language certificate(s) (if available)
- Supporting letter by mentor/supervisor (if required by the Doctoral School)
- Supporting letter of Head by specialization/subprogram (if required by the Doctoral School)
- Supporting letter by Head of Department (if required by the Doctoral School)
- Research plan or essay
- Documents proving previous professional/academic achievements (certificates, publications, etc.)