Corvinus Doctoral Schools – where your knowledge is your career!
The application period is over.
Candidates for academic careers are expected who would be professionally involved in education and research during their careers, and envisage their careers in the sphere of higher education and research. And an expert career can be a goal for those who are interested in doctoral training and already have practical experience.
Also new is the Corvinus Doctoral Scholarship (for Hungarian citizens and foreigners receiving equal treatment), which can be applied for by state scholarship students who choose an academic career, and this year it will add a total of HUF 280,000 to the state scholarship.
Why is it worth applying?
- Corvinus Doctoral Scholarship for outstandingly talented and high-performing doctoral students (for Hungarian citizens and foreigners receiving equal treatment)
- The possibility of a two-track doctoral program, one is an academic career for those wishing to find a job in higher education/research and the other is an expert career for those wishing to put science into practice.
- Colourful training possibilities await applicants and there are several programs to choose from at each school.
- Our doctoral schools provide an international environment where we have the opportunity to work with both foreign professors and fellow students.
- The language of the doctoral program is Hungarian and English, and we provide all the documents required for the successful completion of the program to our foreign students in English.
- There are no age or other restrictions, we are looking for more mature and even senior doctoral students.
Corvinus Doctoral Schools
Doctoral School of Business and Management
The doctoral school was founded by internationally known and recognized professors of management and organizational sciences, but over the years, legendary faculty members and researchers have made the training successful. In the field of management and organizational sciences, it is one of the largest doctoral schools in the country, one of the most successful in terms of the ratio of admissions to graduates.
Doctoral School of Economics, Business and Informatics
The Doctoral School of Economics, Business and Informatics operates in three fields: economics, management and organizational sciences, and computer science/information technology. The Doctoral School has two doctoral programs, the Doctoral Program in Economics and the Doctoral Program in Business Informatics.
Doctoral School of International Relations and Political Science
Applicants to the Doctoral School of International Relations and Political Science can choose from four programs and obtain a degree in political science or economics. They are: the World Economics; International and Security Studies; Geopolitics and Sustainable Development; and classical Political Science and Public Policy. Full-time program is in English, and nearly a quarter of doctoral students are foreigner. At the highest possible level available in Hungary, we offer methodological bases, supervision, and an academic network in both domestic and international environments.
Doctoral School of Sociology and Communication Science
The Doctoral School of Sociology and Communication Science was created from the merger of two previous doctoral schools, Sociology and Social Communication. The Doctoral School operates two independent programs, Sociology and Communication Science, continuing the work of the founding doctoral schools, preserving their values and traditions.
Academic and expert-focused doctoral career models
Academic and expert-focused doctoral career models were also be introduced in an ascending system in September 2021 by Corvinus. The two training have the same program and output requirements, the degree obtained (PhD) is the same, the difference will be in the target group, purpose and way of organizing the training. Candidates for academic careers are expected who would be professionally involved in education and research during their careers, and envisage their careers in the sphere of higher education and research.
Students who meet the requirements of the Corvinus Doctoral Scholarship can apply for academic careers. Foreign nationals applying for the cost form, who meet the requirements of the Corvinus Doctoral Scholarship but do not receive it, and, if justified, also applicants who receive a Hungarian state scholarship and who meet the requirements of the Corvinus Doctoral Scholarship, may also be admitted to the program. They do not receive support due to lack of space. Students who are interested in social science issues and have practical experience in business, administration, culture, diplomacy are welcome to pursue an expert career.
Applicants for the field of expert reimbursement and Hungarian state scholarship may also apply for expert careers. When recognizing the research credits of doctoral students choosing an expert career, the teaching and lecturing activities carried out at their nationally or internationally accredited training center, as well as in-house training, as well as innovation, development or research activities closely related to their research topic may be taken into account.
Doctoral students studying for an academic career can transfer to an expert career , which is decided by the Council of the Doctoral School, but there is no interoperability in the other direction. The specifics of the admissions are determined by the individual doctoral schools in accordance with the University Doctoral Regulations and the operating regulations of the doctoral school. Both trainings offer full-time program. In the training and research phase (semesters 1-4), doctoral students in academic and expert careers can continue their studies according to the same operational curriculum of the doctoral school, even using a different timetable.
The application period begins on April 15, 2022 and runs through April 30, 2022.
Corvinus Doctoral Scholarship
The Corvinus Doctoral Scholarship can be applied for by those who choose the Hungarian state scholarship program and the academic career from September 2021 within the general doctoral admission procedure. The application can be submitted by marking the Corvinus Doctoral Scholarship on the doctoral application form. The basic condition for receiving the Corvinus Doctoral Scholarship is that the applicant accepts the scholarship conditions set out in the BCE Student Study and Benefit Regulations (HTJSZ/SSBR), achieves at least 80/100 points in the general admission procedure, be among the highest performing applicants in the given doctoral school, and fill in the declaration of excellence on the application form.
The declaration of excellence is an 8-10 line motivation letter, which contains the name of the applicant for the Corvinus Doctoral Scholarship, and in which the applicant clearly but concisely, even in points (in Hungarian for Hungarian native speakers) states the excellence marks, achievements, skills, research opportunities, commitments, future plans, etc. he feels that he is one of the best candidates.
The Scholarship Council, which evaluates the Corvinus Doctoral Scholarship, decides on the award of the Scholarship based on the performance achieved in the admission procedure and the statement of excellence.
General requirements for application
- Degree from an undergraduate or equivalent accredited master’s degree (MA or MSc). We do not accept part-time MBA degrees!
- Applicants who do not have prior study in the discipline (but otherwise meet all admission requirements) may be admitted on the condition that they take the designated catch-up subjects and take an examination in the first semester of their PhD studies.
- Applicants graduating in the academic year 2021/2022 must present their degree no later than September 1, 2022. Admission is conditional until the student presents his or her diploma. Preference will be given to applicants who have won a National Scientific Student Conference (NSSC) award. Demonstrable research ability (NSSC, scientific publications) is also an advantage.
- A complex state-recognized language exam of at least one foreign language, level “B2” or higher.
Documents required for application
- Professional, scientific CV
- Proof of payment of the admission fee
- Copy of the document certifying the required education or certifying its acquisition in progress
- Copy of language exam certificates (if any)
- Research plan or essay (doctoral school-specific)
- Copies of previous documents certifying professional, scientific achievements, if any (diplomas, certificates, publications, promotions, etc.)
Administrative fee for admission examination
- The administrative fee for the admission examination is HUF 9,000, which we ask you to transfer to the university’s bank account: 11784009-22229896-00000000
- Please indicate in the announcement: admission fee, topic number: SDRSM0000K, the name of the applicant.
Information on scholarships
Doctoral program is a full-time program operates in a tuition-fee paying- or a scholarship supported form. The content of the program is the same for both forms. Students take the same courses. For students who receive a scholarship, the amount of the state scholarship is HUF 140,680 per month for the first four semesters; and HUF 180 680 per month for the second four semesters. The amounts are transferred by the university to the student’s bank account.
The following students are eligible for the state scholarship:
- PhD students of Hungarian citizenship applying for full-time program
- foreign PhD students who have the same rights as Hungarian citizens under law or an international agreement
The duration of the state scholarship is 4 years (48 months). Act CCIV of 2011 on national higher education (hereinafter referred to as Nftv.). By law, while most of the study-related costs of scholarship students are covered by the state budget, the costs of self-funded studies are borne by the student himself.
During the program, any PhD student can apply for support to participate in conferences in Hungary and abroad.
Information about tuition fees
Tuition fees for the 2022/23 academic year will be as follows per semester for students enrolled in 2022:
- HUF 600,000 Program in Hungarian for Hungarian citizens and foreigners receiving equal treatment (EU and EEA)
- HUF 940,000: Program in English for Hungarian citizens and foreigners receiving equal treatment (EU and EEA).
- EUR 4 000 for third-country nationals.
First steps in case of successful admission
The staff of the University Doctoral Office records personal data in the Neptun system, checks documents related to previous studies and qualifications (these must be presented in original or as a certified copy). During the studies, the student communicates primarily through the email address recorded in the Neptun system, so if the student’s email address changes, please notify the University Doctoral Office immediately.
Registration for subjects
After enrolment/registration, the student himself/herself takes the courses due in the given semester according to the curriculum, core, core electives and elective subjects through the Neptun system. The secretarial assistants of the doctoral schools assist the students in taking the subjects if necessary.
The supervisor plays a key role in the success of the student’s progress during the doctoral program. In most doctoral schools, the person of the supervisor (mentor supervisor) will be outlined already in the process of the admission procedure, but the relationship will be finalized only based on the decision of the Doctoral School Council. At the beginning of the program, the student should try to establish an intensive relationship with the (mentor) supervisor, if he/she does not have a supervisor yet, please contact the doctoral school management as soon as possible to find the most suitable person and start work.
Access to database
To communicate and access online databases (Neptun, Moodle, library), it is essential to obtain the Cusman code and password, doctoral students can also request an email in the format firstname.lastname@example.org. The University Doctoral Office registers the students in the doktori.hu database, however, all students are required to register by themselves in the HLSW (Hungarian Library of Scientific Works/MTMT). Appointed librarians can provide information on the use of HLSW.
Questions related to the admission procedure are welcome at the e-mail address: email@example.com!