Széchenyi 2020
Budapesti Corvinus Egyetem ×

Frequently asked questions: international applicants

General questions

Can I apply for a scholarship?

Non-EU students may be eligible for a Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship, see Stipendium Hungaricum section below

How do I have to pay?

You will have to pay per semester and upon receipt of your offer being issued.

Please click on the relevant link for specific fee information 

Bachelor programmes
Master programmes
MBA programmes

Is there an application fee?

As of 2021, there are no application fees!

For self-funded students the following charges apply if you need any of the following for admission:

  • 4,000 HUF (≈11 EUR) for a language/oral exam
  • 4,000 HUF (≈11 EUR) for a postgraduate entrance exam
  • 8,000 HUF (≈22 EUR) for recognition of prior credit acceptance.

These charges do not apply to Stipendium Hungaricum applicants.

Can I stay in a dormitory or student accommodation?

There are options available.  See Accommodation/costs of living section below for more information about living costs and living in Hungary. 

For more information about accommodation, please click here. 

How can I find out more about my program (including the syllabus, who is teaching me, fees and contact hours)?

Please click on the relevant link for programme information:

Bachelor programmes
Master programmes
MBA programmes

Please note: only syllabi for 2020 are published. This may change for students starting in September 2021.

Is insurance included in my tuition fee?

For Stipendium Hungaricum students, yes.

Self-paid students must source private insurance and/or arrange a “TAJ card” (State Health Insurance Card).


What are the general admissions requirements?

Applying to Corvinus University is simple.

If you are a non-EU student and want to apply for a Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship, please see Stipendium Hungaricum section below.

If you are a self-funded student, you can apply online at

To apply as a postgraduate, you generally need to have a completed, undergraduate degree.

To apply as a postgraduate, you generally need to have completed an undergraduate degree (in a related discipline) with a good GPA, scores or grades. A minimum of three years of work experience is required for MBA and Executive programs too.

Once you have submitted your online application, we will ask you to send us electronic copies of some documents.

For all our programs, we invite international applicants for a Skype interview in English. The interview will test your motives to study the program you have applied for and your aspirations. The interviewer will also make a general assessment of your English speaking and listening skills.

For admission onto some of our Master programs, you may be given a short admission task or test.

If you pass the interview and any required tasks/tests you will be offered a place on the program.

What else do I need?

You need an email address to make your online application. Always check your junk email for communication from us – you should get an email once you have submitted your application.

You will need a Skype ID for your interview – you can let us know this later.

What documents do I need to provide?

Once you complete your online application we will ask you for the following:

  • Passport
  • Qualifications and transcript*
  • English-language certificate*
  • Mathematics test*.

*You can provide these later. Mathematics tests are only required for business and economics programs – see “Do I need a Mathematics test?”, for more information.

How do I know if my undergraduate degree is in a “related discipline”?

Please click on the relevant link for programme information 
Bachelor programmes
Master programmes
MBA programmes.

If you are not sure, please feel free to contact us, and a member of our team will be happy to help.

Do I need to take an English test? What are the requirements?

You can take a test after submitting your online application.

We accept the following internationally recognised English certificates with minimum scores required listed below.


If you hold an undergraduate degree in English you do not require an English test. 
If you hold a passport from one of these countries, you do not need to take an English test

  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • The Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Canada*
  • Dominica
  • Grenada
  • Guyana
  • Ireland
  • Jamaica
  • New Zealand
  • St Kitts and Nevis
  • St Lucia
  • St Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • United Kingdom
  • United States of America.

*Canadian citizens should provide proof that they have studied in English.

Do I need a Mathematics test?

Business and Economics students may require a mathematics test.

You can take a test after submitting your online application.

If you have one of the following internationally recognised certificates, you may not need a mathematics test:

  • SAT mathematics level 2 – (minimum 680 points)

  • AP Calculus (AB or BC) – (minimum grade of 3)

  • ACT (mathematics part only) – (minimum of 27 points).

Stipendium Hungaricum

Note: this section contains information for prospective Stipendium Hungaricum applicants. If you have already applied for a Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship and want to know more about the next steps, please visit the webpage below. 

Accommodation/costs of living

How much does accommodation cost in Budapest?

Accommodation ranges from approximately €3,000 – 4,000 per year.

What additional costs of living are there?

We would advise you to allow €1,500-2,000 per year for food and travel.

Does the university offer dormitory/accommodation?

Please note that as of December 2020, all university accommodations are closed due to the global pandemic and governmental legislation.

If an accommodation becomes available for September 2021, there will be limited spaces available, with Stipendium Hungaricum students given first priority.

We encourage students to source private accommodation.

Can the university help me to source private accommodation?

We can offer limited support by recommending you to some third party suppliers. Feel free to contact our team using the form at if you haveany questions.

University Preparation Program

What is the University Preparation Program?

In some countries, high school ends at a lower level than in Hungary. We, therefore, will ask certain applicants to start on the University Preparation Program (depending on the level of their high school qualification). However, you are welcome to apply for an undergraduate degree. We will refer you to the preparation program if this is a better fit for you.

If you have B1 English-language knowledge, we will refer you to the preparation program as the requirements for our undergraduate, postgraduate and executive programs are B2 leveled.

If your English language level is below B1, it would be deemed too low for the preparation program.
The University Preparation Program focuses heavily on English language. Participants also benefit from Hungarian classes, mathematics and subject-specific introductions in business, economics and social sciences. The program offers mentoring, support and helps students to adapt life in Hungary. Participants leave the program well-prepared for further studies at Corvinus.

What are the fees for the preparation program?

The fees are €4,670 (this excludes accommodation). As of January 2021. Fees subject to change.

Can I apply for Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship?

Not for the preparation program. However, you can for any further studies (if your program and nationality makes you eligible – see Admission section above for further details).

When is the next intake?

We have two intakes per year. October and February for the preparation program.

Can I go straight onto my undergraduate, postgraduate or executive program after finishing the preparation program?

Yes, subject to satisfactory attendance, and passing our internal English test (pass mark 70%).

Visa questions (non-EU students)

Note: EU students may live, work and study in Hungary without a visa.

How long do I need to apply for my visa?

We recommend you allow at least 30 days.

What do I need?

You should have your offer letter, original qualifications and English language certificates. You should pay your first semester’s fee.

Can I work whilst studying?

Yes, you can work up to 20 hours per week.

Can my spouse join me in Hungary under my student visa?

No. However, they can obtain a 3-month visa and apply for residency (though they must work or study to be a resident).

What are the post-study options for international students here in Hungary?

You can remain in Hungary if you secure employment before graduation. Many multinational firms in Budapest hire talented English-speaking staff.

Do I need medical insurance?

If you are a Stipendium Hungaricum student, you do not need insurance.
If you are a self-funded student, you should obtain medical insurance.

Copied to clipboard
GEN.:2022.05.18. - 07:21:44