Master of Arts in International Economy and Business
MA in International Economy and Business (IEB)
The aim of this programme is to train graduates with a thorough understanding of the processes of international economy, ranging from the fields of international business and economics to international politics and international law. This qualification should be attractive to students seeking analytical and business skills in an international context.
The core content of the programme reflects the increasing globalisation and continuous evolution of international economics and business management. Besides giving a sound methodological foundation in statistics and micro- and macroeconomic theory, the programme addresses the main aspects of the global economy: trade, finance, factoring and information flows, multinational corporations, corporate strategies, international organisations, development, regionalism and integration, intellectual property, etc.
While providing the necessary theoretical basis, a strong emphasis is also placed on the practice of each issue. To reap the full benefits of the programme, active student participation in individual and group work is highly recommended.
Name of the degree:
Master of Arts in International Economy and Business
The MA in International Economy and Business is designed for those:
- who are interested in analysing and understanding the international environment and the functioning of corporations, and who are sensitive to the complexities of world economy;
- who wish to gain an understanding of business studies, international relations and international political studies;
- who, during their master’s studies, feel motivated to work in a multi-ethnical and cultural environment.
The MA in International Economy and Business is worth choosing BECAUSE:
- our MA offers a modern and international education at a very competitive price in the Central and Eastern European region.
- this MA offers a unique opportunity for students to master the most important competences regarding economics and business studies, combined with other scientific fields such as international relations, political science or law, in an interdisciplinary manner.
- it provides you the opportunity to learn from and work with professors who have an internationally recognised expertise in their fields.
- our students can choose from a remarkably wide range of elective courses throughout their four semesters. At the moment, 15 different fields are covered by the offered electives.
- students are selected on a highly competitive basis, and the low number of applicants enrolled facilitates a more intensive student-teacher relationship. In the previous year (2009), 50 percent of the applicants could meet the admission requirements.
- a vast majority of graduates find employment in the business, governmental or non-profit sectors of the national and international economy. Graduates of the MA in International Economy and Business programme can easily and successfully settle within both the private and the non-profit sectors.
- during their studies, the students of the MA in International Economy and Business can apply for the 1- or 2-semester-long European mobility programmes of the ERASMUS and the CEEPUS, which are bilateral foreign study programmes of the Corvinus University of Budapest.
- the courses taught in English provide the opportunity for Hungarian and foreign students to learn together. In this way, in addition to the material covered by the course, the multi-cultural environment is also a significant educator. It facilitates cultural learning, building friendships, and the practice of the common language.
- this programme offers an international atmosphere, in which the student has the possibility to interact with students and instructors of different cultural backgrounds, as in our classrooms Hungarians, Cameroonians, Chinese, Ethiopians, Germans, Iranians, Koreans, Nigerians, Syrians, Americans, Ukrainians, etc., are working together.
Graduates of this programme are qualified to
- recognise, understand and influence the interrelationship and complexities within and in-between the corporate, regional, national or international spheres;
- apply the economic, financial, marketing and management concepts and theories on an international level, thereby responding to multifaceted challenges and problems of the current world economy;
- work out effective international business strategies or design efficient economic policies in a governmental or international organisational body;
- manage, organise and control the multiple functions his/her job requires, creatively apply the appropriate concepts and methodologies, and form a sound and professionally valid opinion and decision on matters relating to economics and business;
- analyse the economic, geopolitical, social, cultural and institutional dimensions of the international business world and the international system itself; understand and represent the national, European and global values in the world of corporate, regional, national and international organisations.
The employment of our graduates
Based on our experience about the previous, 5-year-long studies, our graduates have few difficulties in finding a job, as employers of both the private and the public sectors are happy to hire them. Moreover, many have applied successfully to international organisations.
The graduates of the programme, possessing well founded economic, methodological and social knowledge, soon become capable of participating, with great independence and creativity, in solving decision-preparatory issues on the different levels of the economy, business and other regional social or economic matters. The demand of the labour market for such economists can be expected from whom international activities and economic strategies are the priorities. Some examples are the planning, managing and financial sections of the institutions of public administration, big corporations and non-governmental institutions, international organisations such as the EU, transnational corporations, along with small and medium sized enterprises which are active also in international matters.
Thanks to the high level of qualification obtained in theoretical and applied skills in economics, our graduates are extremely well placed to find exciting, rewarding positions in prominent private sector companies or in any of the major public sector policy agencies.
To read more about the programme, please click here.